Re: Overwriting files from other packages will require Replaces

Raul Miller writes ("Re: Overwriting files from other packages will require Replaces"):
> Raul Miller:
>    > When installing a new mailer, there may be mail remaining in the
>    > outgoing queue of the old mailer.  How would you recommend this mail
>    > be delivered?
>
> Kai Henningsen:
>    Well, certainly not by a full mailer installation.
>
> Why not?  If it's simple, and it works, it's a good starting point.
>
>    Anyway, I think there exists no really good solution to that
>    problem anyway - all I have ever seen is kludges where you do a lot
>    of work by hand.
>
> Er... what about stuff along the lines of leave runq in cron?

Which runq ?  This clearly won't work well without an awful lot of
effort; I don't think we (the Debian project) have the effort
available (and even if we didn't I'm not convinced it would be worth
it).

People who want to do things like this can use --force-conflicts and
sort the mess out themselves :-).

Ian.