Re: Proposal for a new debian.control field

Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca writes:

> I was thinking that we could put a new field in debian.control which
> specifies a kernel version number. We could thereby assure that 1.3 packages
> do not get installed on 1.2 system, or even that some 1.3 requirements that
> are met only in kernels greater than 1.3.somenumber are fulfilled. dpkg
> should test this via uname or /proc/version or some other means.

I think that this makes a heck of a lot more sense than the alternative--
using --force-depends, or installing a new kernel package only to delete all
of the files.

This would also fix problems with the new bind, and make it almost painless
for new packages like watchdog, new psutils, module-utils &c that rely heavily
on kernel version number, without having to install new kernel versions all
the time.

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert