Re: Policy regarding Motif apps?

Carl Streeter wrote, regarding Motif statically vs. dynamically linked:
> Owning Motif myself, I definitely see the need to have both versions.
> I sure don't want a static app, but that's all some can get.
>
> On a related note, there should probably be some convention adopted for
> naming these.  Something like app-static.deb and app-dynamic.deb both
> providing and conflicting with a virtual package 'app'

Having just released a package using (static) Motif libraries, I'm finding a
desire to standardize a way to release a dynamically linked version as well.

I think Carl has a good idea. I propose the names app-smotif.deb and
app-dmotif.deb to make clear they use Motif, both providing and conflicting
with the virtual package "app" as Carl suggested.

How do we receive a blessing on this matter? Bruce?

Thanks.

--
Robert Leslie
rob@mars.org