Re: Net packages should be compiled under the 1.2 kernel include files

Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:

> Hello,
>
>   I just found a bug in bind-4.9.3. I've already discussed this with the
> maintainer (Robert Leslie) and it seems that the problem is not just
> related to bind (named) but more general.
>
> Named uses the getsockopt() and setsockopt() calls, and was compiled with
> the 1.3 kernel include files. Now when it is run on an 1.2 kernel, libc5
> sees that these calls are not available and returns -1 (+ errno) to
> the application which in this case caused named to abort zone transfers.
>
> I think in general, until the kernel 1.4 (or 2.0) is released that we
> should require applications (at least network aware apps) to be compiled
> with the 1.2.13 include files.

If they are meant for the stable (0.93R6) tree I agree, but if they are
for the unstable (1.1beta) tree I disagree. I think Bruce said a while
ago that he considered a 1.3 kernel (I can't remember which one it was
somewhere in the 50's I think) to be our standard for 1.1 at that time,
and not 1.2.

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au