Re: Connffiles?

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>It would be really simple to give "dpkg" a flag that meant "overwrite all
>conffiles without asking". I don't think you'd need it often.

No.  I don't want dpkg to overwrite my /etc/X11 stuff.  Just all the
binaries.  I thought you were proposing to make every file on the
system a conffile.  I think this /might/ be a good idea, but there are
some caveats.  The first one I thought of is my beta X11 installation.

Perhaps, keeping the current conffiles.  But adding every file on the
system as a "lower" level conffile.  So you get warned (and can
intervene) if dpkg is about to overwrite a file that has changed
between package upgrades.  Or somesuch.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)