How to find out if a package is installed?

somewhat earlier, I wrote:

> I'm trying to work out how to upgrade an existing installation
> of cern-httpd to use the new names. Before I blow away the existing
> /usr/sbin/httpd, I need to determine if it's cern's, apache's, or
> (possibly), somebody else's. Since cern and apache conflict, it
> should be one or the other's. What's the best way to do this?

And then today a message in debian-devel from Ian J. clued me to
the fact that I needed to pay more attention to the section in the
guidelines about maintainer script arguments and how dpkg works.
This seems to solve (or a least provide a path to the solution of)
my problems.

The only outstanding gotcha is if someone installed cern-httpd,
and then installed apache using 'dpkg --force-conflicts', but
someone who does that deserves to lose, right :-)

Sorry, and Mea-Culpa

SteveG

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			    The spokesperson told me that one of the hot
			    toys for boys this year, once again, is the G.I.
			    Joe action figure and "accessories," which is
			    the toy industry code word for guns, as in:
			    "Don't nobody move!	 I got an accessory!"
[Dave Barry]