Re: junk/pine releases

>1. I thought the default link was to shared libraries. That doesn't seem
>to be the case. I have searched the gcc info pages to no avail. Please
>someone, point me to TFM so I can RTFM and figure out how to link libc5
>as a shared library. (ncurses links properly?)

I thought that was the default too - and indeed programs I've compiled
as ELF on my system have been dynamically linked against libc5.
Perhaps you've found a bug in the compiler or libc package?

>2. This release of pine has included the imapd supplied with pine source.
>I have had great conceptual problems with this addition. I feel compelled
>to inform the installer that they are getting this program, and ask
>permission to modify configuration files to configure it. I would prefer
>to be able to install it or not, at the installers preference, but dpkg
>doesn't seem to support this (yes/no?). Aside from asking some possibly
>confusing questions I see no answer to this other than splitting the
>imapd out into a separate binary package. Then I can safely assume that
>the installer has chosen to get this new daemon installed and properly
>perform the configuration in inetd. Any ideas on this issue would be
>greatly appreciated.

I can easily imagine a user who wants to install Pine but couldn't
give a fig about imapd - from which I'd say that they should be in
separate packages.

I'm not sure if one would expect there to be many sites which would
want imapd but not Pine on the same machine.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org