Re: /bin/perl

Guy Maor writes:

> But run-parts is not the issue here.  The issue is whether a better
> scripting language should be on the debian base set, installed in
> /bin.

These are *not* the same thing.

> I think everyone will agree that bash can sometimes be a pain to
> write scripts in.

You only need a script complicated enough to get your /usr partition
fixed and mounted.

> Is increasing a base Debian install by half a meg worth giving
> developers a bit more convenience?

This is only an issue for scripts in /bin or more likely /etc/init.d/
Since those generally don't do anything too fancy, is perl really needed
on the root partition?  I'd kinda like to be able to use linux on those
outdated 386's with 40meg HD's.  If every 0.5meg binary that would be "nice"
made it to the root partition,

Heck, the closest things to editors on the root partition are ed, sed, and
bash's cat <<EOM.

Isn't perl overkill?

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert