Re: Call for special UIDs/GIDs for the base package

Kai Henningsen writes:

>Maybe we need a program to move uids/gids. I did it with a few ad-hoc
>scripts when I moved our office Slackware machine to Debian (lots of uids
>starting at 500 are now at 1500), but it was not pretty. You have to adapt
>*all* files on your system belonging to one of them. It's rather easy to
>make mistakes.

SVR4 has a program called groupmod which can do this automatically.
I've written perl versions of a number of the SVR4 user and group
administration commands and hope to be able to upload them sometime in
the near future (though I have many other things to do as well).  I
could see about implementing the usermod and groupmod commands as well
if there's demand.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org