Re: Call for special UIDs/GIDs for the base package

david@elo.ods.com (David Engel)  wrote on 29.02.96 in <m0tsMBF-000BipC@elo.ods.com>:

> It should, but I'll bet you there will be plenty of users who won't
> RTFM and use reserved uids/gids.  Hell, I know they are reserved and
> even I used them anyway on machine at work. :-)  Of course, we already
> had existing ids assigned that I had to use.

Maybe we need a program to move uids/gids. I did it with a few ad-hoc
scripts when I moved our office Slackware machine to Debian (lots of uids
starting at 500 are now at 1500), but it was not pretty. You have to adapt
*all* files on your system belonging to one of them. It's rather easy to
make mistakes.

MfG Kai