Re: emacs 19.30-1

  Guy Maor writes:
  Guy>  On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Erick Branderhorst wrote:
  Erick> When starting emacs (19.30-1) an error occurs about not being able
  Erick> to load jka-compr.elc which is searched in 19.29 dir. I did a clean
  Erick> upgrade, dpkg -iGROEB (from dselect).
  Guy>  It's in the .deb file and works for me.

I guess that Erick meant something else; the following tends to sit in
/etc/site-start.el
	;; (load "/usr/lib/emacs/19.29/lisp/jka-compr.elc")
I replaced it with a load with no absolute path
	;; (load "jka-compr")
which I now, under emacs-19.30, replaced with
	(auto-compression-mode 1)
See /usr/lib/emacs/19.30/etc/NEWS

  Erick> Additionally, a few manpages seem to reside in the
  Erick> /usr/lib/emacs/19.30/etc directory. Shouldn't these go to the
  Erick> approriate place /usr/man/man1.  Other documentation is there as
  Erick> well, shouldn't this go to a /usr/doc/emacs directory.
  Guy>  emacs.1 and [ce]tags.1 are installed in /usr/man.  The rest of the
  Guy> documentation goes into /etc for historical reasons.  A symbolic link
  Guy> from /usr/doc/emacs to /usr/lib/emacs/19.30/etc is reasonable.  Anyone
  Guy> have any problems with that?

Sounds good to me.

  Guy> When creating the package, I kept everything in the same location as
  Guy> it was for 19.29-11.  After 11 versions, I assumed everybody was happy
  Guy> with the files' locations.

The last version was called -11 because it was an Elf recompilation of the
current a.out version which, I believe, was called -4.

Later,

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd