Re: update bash packageZ

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, David Engel wrote:

> Bash checks out as far as I can tell with Ray's new readline package
> so I've rebuilt it to once again to use the shared readline.  The
> depends line in the control file was updated to ensure that the proper
> readline is available.

This still isn't ideal.  The readline library has some shell specific
code that isn't invoked if libreadline is a shared lib.  Look at the
code inside the SHELL ifdefs.

If you really want to have bash work with a shared libreadline,
introduce a new global variable into libreadline, rl_shell.  Replace
'#ifdef SHELL' with 'if (rl_shell)'.   Then bash can set this
variable.

Guy