Re: Call for special UIDs/GIDs for the base package

> If the user and group IDs are reserved, there isn't much point in _not_
> having them in the password file when the system is delivered, is there?

No.

> Packages should still install them if they aren't in the password file,
> but I think the presence of reserved uids/gids of unistalled packages
> will help to avoid collisions with user-installed software.

It should, but I'll bet you there will be plenty of users who won't
RTFM and use reserved uids/gids.  Hell, I know they are reserved and
even I used them anyway on machine at work. :-)  Of course, we already
had existing ids assigned that I had to use.

David