Guidelines example in dvi

I asked this before and perhaps someone answered (but I have been off the
devel list for a few days).

I did a texi2dvi on the guidelines and looked at the example of the
control file of the smail package. All goes well except for the extended
description in which all lines start with one or more spaces. This result
is the dvi format as an extra empty line. This is confusing and I would
like to have this output more alike the original input. Right now the
@smallexample

@end smallexample
environment is used. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

--
Erick Branderhorst@heel.fgg.eur.nl +31-10-4635142
Department of General Surgery (Intensive Care) University Hospital Rotterdam NL