Re: Automating the upload process

Can I make a few suggestions here ?

Firstly, some package releases want to go into both trees.  Secondly,
do we want things *other* than package releases to go through this
scheme ?  I'd say not.

Taking this into account I'd suggest that, instead of supplying the
filename directly, we supply
 * The Section for the package (this is already permitted in package
   control files; we can just make it mandatory, and we already have a
   mechanism for overriding this information).
 * The trees it should be distributed to, as Bill Mitchell suggests
   (ie, development/stable or whatever we decide to call them).

filenames as well as the corresponding .tar.gz and .diff.gz filenames,
and means we can have one Incoming per architecture.

Because the uploaded filenames don't have the architecture in them we
still need one Incoming per architecture.  We should include the
Architecture in the changes file for consistency and checking.

dchanges should get the Architecture from the package control file.

> > I also would like to see the "Maintainer: " field exported to the .changes
> > file so that the upload script could complain to the maintainer. We might
> > want the "Maintainer: " field to be a proper RFC-822 mail address, for
> > example "(Bruce Perens) Bruce@Pixar.com" rather than the deprecated form
> > of mail address we are currently using.
>
> What's easy to provide is the contents of the "Maintainer:" field
> from the control file from the first .deb package encountered.

Can we please not change the format of the Maintainer field ?  It's
the way that most humans write email addresses.  We can easily have
programs change the format round as and when they need to mail a
maintainer (the bug tracking system already does this).

The angle brackets form is not at all deprecated by RFC822/1123,
Bruce.  What makes you think it's "old style" ?  The only problem with
it is that the "comment" isn't really a comment and mustn't contain
full stops (and certain other characters).

Oh, and Bruce, can you please specify the results, rather than the
implementation ?  I'd like to make a dchanges clone that reads my
Changelog files ...

Ian.