Bug#933: Pine wants to post my email reply, and other problems

Dale Scheetz writes:

> Within a few minutes the user can determine what NNTP server to use,

Not necesarily.  As a very knowledgable user at my university, I tried
to install a news reader, and the only way to find *a* let alone *the*
NNTP server was to run strings on rn.  Certainly not for the faint of
heart ;)

> Are you suggesting that it is the responsibility of the pine installation
> to determine which of the various mail-delivery-agents is in place and
> then properly configure pine for that agent? I don't think so!

No, because mail agents all behave the same to the user. (For the most part)

> I didn't say I didn't know how to do this, I said I didn't think I should
> do it.

It is definitely the package maintainers responsibility to provide
sane defaults after the package is installed.

Generally in the case of a news reader, those "sane" defaults can only be
determined after asking for the NNTP server or some other information.

> > >Choice of an NNTP server is intended to be left up to the end user!
> >
> > Consider the case where the end user has limited technical knowledge.
>
> Then he probably shouldn't be trying to post to news groups.

Technical knowledge is not the only knowledge relavant to newsgroups...

Consider the case where the end user just got a new job.  Should he not
be able to fire up any newsreader that's installed, and continue about
his business, or should he spend half a day trying to find the
overworked sysadmin to figure out which NNTP server to use?

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert