Re: MSDOS name conversion

"brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca)  wrote on 15.02.96 in <"13699 Thu Feb 15 14:50:44 1996"@bnr.ca>>:

> Thank you for your confidence.  As I said, it _is_ doable (obviously not be
> me, though) though there is little point.  There is no reason split cannot
> run after the download is complete.  I've already mentioned running without
> a hard drive.

As far as I remember, splitting during receive *was* your solution to
that. What do you do without?

> >> is pkzip for OS/2 and it should handle splitting across floppies.  Of
> >
> >It might, though I don't have it (I'm not even sure it exists). I have the
> >Info-Zip, and if it can do that, I stll have to find out how. And I have
> >yet to find a need for splitting.
>
> Info-Zip and PKZip are not the same thing.

That's what I said. I've *never* seen a *pk*zip for OS/2.

> >And anyway, you're now talking third party software. Do *you* want to make
> >sure a program to do this for every possible operating system a downloader
> >could have is somewhere on the Debian ftp archive, some of which will
> >undoubtably not be free software?
>
> I don't need to make sure.  There already is.  You just have to know where
> to look.

Read my lips^H^H^HASCII letters: "somewhere on the Debian archive".

> >It's a lot worse because it puts a lot of work on a lot of people, many of
> >whom probably aren't very good at that stuff in the first place, instead
> >of putting only very little work on very few people.
>
> It actually puts less work on the user because they don't have to worry
> about copying files to floppies.  The only added problem is getting the

Come again?

> split program in the first place and learning how to use it.  If these

Beginning with finding out about it ...

I'm beginning to think we inhabit different universes. Your position, and
your arguments, make less sense to me with every message.

> Anyway, I'm not going to repeat myself any more.  I'm now dropping out
> of this thread.  *vanishes*

Well, I'll probably follow that example, at least for this subthread.

MfG Kai