Re: ELF migration questions.

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Raul Miller writes ("Re: ELF migration questions."):
> >    [program to test for non-module support of elf]
> >    We should just decide which package it belongs in - and I'm tempted to
> >    say `dpkg'.
> >
> > Excellent idea.
>
> ETA 1 week, in 1.1.1.  I think I'll include a uuencoded copy of an an
> ELF `hello world' executable in the source, to reduce compiler
> dependencies, &c.  I made one and the executable is under 3K.

Hmm ... just one point, though - should the source distribution be
architecture independent?  I.E. should dpkg-1.1.1.tar.gz compile just as
well on the Alpha &c as it does on the i386?  If so, this idea would need
revising - you could of course include the uuencoded executable which is
only used if the target is i386, and compile otherwise, but that gets a
bit messy.  Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :-)

Nikhil.