Re: MSDOS name conversion

In article <[🔎] 199602131641.KAA13101@hp-47.cae.wisc.edu> Carl V Streeter <streeter@cae.wisc.edu> writes:

> Michael E. Deisher writes:
> >
> > > user in order to make installation slightly easier for the
> > > first-time installer, _once_.
> >
> > Have you ever had to maintain a system using floppies?  I used to.

Why ?

How many people do maintain a system using floppies ? I used to assume
that nearly nobody transfers more than the base system using floppies.

Experienced people should be able to split the files, or tar them onto
some disks, or build a slip, plip or ethernet connection or connect a
tape or ...

Not so Linux-experienced people are expected to buy a CD.

> Don't forget those of us whose dial in providers do wonderful things like
> sometimes, their side of the PPP link will freeze, and sometimes, they hang
> up the phone for no reason.  Makes keeping a mirror of the binary stuff fun.
You should use a mirror programme and an ftp server that understand
the REGET command. REGET tries to append to a partially-transferred
file. This is more general than splitting files down to a certain
size.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/