diff iculties

While trying to get a diff of the pine source files I recieved the
following errors:

diff: pine-3.91.orig/imap/c-client: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91/imap/c-client: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91.orig/imap/imapd: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91/imap/imapd: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91.orig/imap/ipopd: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91/imap/ipopd: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91.orig/imap/ms: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91/imap/ms: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91.orig/imapd: No such file or directory
diff: pine-3.91/imapd: No such file or directory

Now, pine-3.91.orig/imap and pine-3.91/imap are both actual directories,
all of the subdirectories complained about are symlinks. There are
several symlinks in pine-3.91/ that are not complained about. I assume
that diff doesn't follow these symlinks because it expects to find the
files down some other hard path.

My questions are:

1. Why only error at this level in the path and not at higher levels?

2. Is there any way to force diff down symlinks anyway?

3. Although these errors do not appear to break the diff file, it fails
to get gzipped because of these errors. Is there any way to shut the
errors off, or conversly, ignore them in following lines used by
debian.rules?

diff -ruN $(SOURCE_DIR).orig/ $(SOURCE_DIR)/ \
>pine-$(PINE_VERSION).diff && \
gzip pine-&(PINE_VERSION).diff

I can obvously do the last line by hand, but I feel much better when all
the nits have been picked.

TIA,

Dwarf