Keeping system up to date

Hi Devels,

I would like to keep my system up to date (don't we all) but I don't
have it up and running 24 hours a day. Actually it is my home system
and when I'm not working on something it is switched off. When I'm
working on it I want good performance. When I'm not working on
something I don't want it to polute the environment by consuming more
energy than necessary and I switch off my system. This is a habit of a
lot of people, especially those with a system at home and roots in
dos/windo/os2/"whatever not unix".

Does anyone know a way to solve this?

I was thinking of the following:

* Queueing the cronjobs and running them ``nicely'' on the system,
instead of giving them toppriority as it seems to be the case now.
Filling this queue should be done very frequently (every (5/10/30)
minute(s).

* Jobs which haven't been taken up and being queued for execution
again should/might remove the previous job or should/might not add
themselves to the execution queue.

* A few options might need to be included about how to execute
specific jobs. Some jobs are time-critical (mirror jobs), some are not
(most others?). The time-critical ones should be treated like they
normally would (with higher priority). These options can be specified
on a comment line in the scripts in /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}.

* When powering the system down and a job is still running it should
be called for execution (a little morbid) the next time the system is
powered up.

I don't know how run-parts workes right now and if it can be modified
to do the above described, but it seems to me that run-parts is the
utility to deal with this kind of thing. Please suggest other things
if you think I overlooked something (hmm, this will fill my mailbox).

Erick