Re: MSDOS filenames

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Doing 2. will require the splitting of overly-large packages into
> parts, using dpkg-split, on master.debian.org.  Should we split all
> the packages even in `binary', or make second copies of all the
> `too-large' packages to put in the msdos trees ?  The former has the
> advantage of using less disk space and making sure that msdos-* only
> contains symlinks; the latter means that binary only contains real
> package .deb files and not fragmented package parts which might
> disturb dpkg-ftp, dpkg-scanpackages (which makes the Packages files)
> and similar programs.

My preference would be for separate split copies to be put in the msdos
area. I think that keeping single files for each package in the main
'binary' section which will be distributed by ftp and on CD-ROM is neater
than allowing floppies to dictate file sizes for every distribution method.

I assume disk space isn't a problem?  At some point I'll upload a
properly Debianised version of the X source tree (as opposed to the
present diff-only version) which will take up a fair amount of space...

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk