Re: Developer@debian.org

fernando@mars.superlink.net (Fernando Alegre)  wrote on 30.01.96 in <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.960130190934.8959A-100000@tigre.local.net>:

> On 29 Jan 1996, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> > One obvious modification would be to get another domain name for this,
> > say, use erick_branderhorst@developer.debian.org. The effect is that this
> > can easily be pointed at another machine later without breaking anything.

> I wonder who is paying for the domain name "debian.org". DNS registration
> is not free now. Is Ian M. paying out of his personal pocket as a
> donation to the Debian Project? Are there other Debian "benefactors"? Or
> is there a for profit organization behind?

However that may be handled, DNS registration in .org is a flat fee per
second-level domain name and year, so having third-level domains or mail
aliases does not affect *that* cost.

Of course, there are other cost factors.

I expect the real cost with setting up developer aliases would be the mail
flow through the machine used for this. I have no real idea how much mail
that would be.

MfG Kai