Re: New ncurses packages...

David Engel:
   As I said in an earlier message, I have not had time to refresh my
   memory on some of the subleties of the problem.  However, I will
   say that the biggest problem area is the allowing of packages to
   remain in an unpacked but unconfigured state (i.e. the old package
   has been removed but the postinst for the new one has not yet been
   run) for an indefinite period of time.  Perhaps this feature should
   be removed for essential packages.  Another problem area is the
   ordering of calls to the postrm and postinst scripts.

Here's an idea.  It's worth less than the usual two cents because I
pulled an all-nighter last night.

preludes:

(1) dpkg can't be called recursively because of database integrity
issues (database locking and complexity).

(2) it seems like the ability to schedule dpkg actions would be nice.

big idea:

the current dpkg command line interface implements a fifo command
queue, and begins execution of the command handler (if not already
active).

upside:

new options for organizing the system, which might resolve some
current gordian knots.

downside:

additional complexity, possible operator confusion (imagine dpkg
started up in window A while already running in window L).  perhaps
this "queue commands but don't be the session" concept should have its
own command line option.

additional complexity, need to manage more state.  [need to be careful
to define what happens for a soft or hard error condition.]

Raul