Re: ELF svgalib questions

David Engel writes:

[...look at Tcl/Tk packages...]

Thanks for the help.  Based on those ideas I propose to do the
following:

	svgalib1
		Shared libraries
		Config files
		README.config

		Depends: libc5
		Conflicts: svgalib

	svgalib1-bin
		Utility programs (ELF format)

		Depends: svgalib1
		Provides: svgalib-bin

	svgalib1-dev
		Static libraries
		Include files
		All docs other than README.config

		Depends: svgalib1
		Conflicts: svgalib-dev
		Provides: svgalib-dev

	aout-svgalib
		(intended for backward compatibility)
		shared & static libraries

		Depends: svgalib1,libc4

The reasoning behind aout-svgalib depending on svgalib1 is to get the
config files.  Creating a separate package just for those seems
overkill; though I have no feel for how likely users are to want the
a.out library but find the ELF version a waste of space, so if people
have strong feelings I could change this.

The meanings of the two virtual packages are:

	svgalib-bin
		svgalib utility programs linked against some ELF
		svgalib.

	svgalib-dev
		svgalib development package for some ELF svgalib.

This makes the assumption that (when 1.1 is the stable release) no
Debian packages will depend on the old a.out svgalib package;
upgrading to the new svgalib will require any packages that depend on
an a.out svgalib it to be upgraded also, if only to depend on
aout-svgalib instead of svgalib.

This assumption seems reasonable, expecting all the packages which
currently depend on the a.out svgalib to be recompiled for ELF anyway.

--
Richard Kettlewell richard@uk.geeks.org http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/