Re: Which files in /usr/sbin?

Fernando Alegre:
. > Regarding the location of /usr/sbin/zdump, I think it is included
. > mainly for helping sysadmins manage the /usr/lib/zoneinfo
. > files. There are better ways to find out in which timezone you
. > live: looking out the window, listening to the radio or with the
. > /bin/date command.

I think I must agree with Fernando on the interpretation of fsstnd.  I
dislike this concept, but there's no point discussing it further.

Michael E. Deisher:
. :-) What's wrong with this?  If the user wants to use zdump, he/she
. types "/usr/sbin/zdump".  No big deal.  If the user has lazy
. fingers, he/she can add /usr/sbin to his/her default path.

It's not so much an issue of lazy fingers, but path independence.

The idea I get, from reading fsstnd [over, and over, and over] is that
if there are any instances of a user who needs a binary from /sbin or
/usr/sbin, then it belongs in the corresponding /bin or /usr/bin
directory.  This justifies the "users shouldn't need to put /sbin or
/usr/sbin in their path" language.

But, since I seem to be a lone voice on this issue, I'll take the hint
and shut up.  I've also resolved to file no bug reports suggesting
that generally useful programs be moved out of /sbin or /usr/sbin.

However: I would like to see the base system initialize the .profile
for the first user (uid 1000) such that /sbin and /usr/sbin are
included in that path.  I think that a case can be made that this is
not an ordinary user.

--
Raul