Re: minicom, /etc and /var/lib/minicom

You (Peter Tobias) wrote:
> Why are minirc.dfl and minicom.users in /var/lib/minicom at all? At least
> minicom.users belongs to the /etc directory. I'm not sure if minicom.dfl
> is more a configuration file (/etc) or a state file (/var/lib/minicom).
>
> PS: I already discussed it with the minicom Debian maintainer. But he
>     thinks that /var/lib/minicom is the correct place for both files (and
>     closed the existing bug report).

I will take over minicom soon, since I am the author anyway. I have
already released minicom-1.73 since earlier versions had a severe
security problem if they were installed setuid root (which minicom
isn't under Debian). I have moved the config files back to /etc.
minicom-1.73-1.tar.gz, available from sunsite and ftp.cistron.nl
already has the debian.* control files.

> BTW: /var/lib won't be part of the next fsstnd/fhs release.

Really? Where do we put stuff like the history database for news
then if it isn't in /var/lib/news ?

--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/