Re: sed oddity

    >> The freshly built sed (invoked with ./sed) did the right thing.
    >> Don't know why I tried /bin/sed again, to my surprise it was
    >> working too!!!

    roro> Does it mean you cannot reproduce the error anymore with the
    roro> old sed?

Maybe when I run gcc's configure again after running and shutting down
X but I won't do that before gcc-2.7.2-3 is out (and I've got some
sleep).

    roro> That may be a hardware error or a glitch in the kernel 1.3.50.

If it's a memory error, an even number of bits must have failed (4Mx9
SIMMs) or the parity logic is stuck - but then the error should show
up not only with sed.

    Robert> This may be related to a problem I had with 1.2.13 <
    Robert> kernels < 1.3.56. I believe it may be/have been a kernel
    Robert> bug.

    Robert> If a program is run and then its image is changed on disk,
    Robert> sometimes the next time it is run it will dump core. For
    Robert> example:

    [...]

    Robert> I haven't had any problems since I upgraded to 1.3.56.

Although /bin/sed hasn't been changed I'll try upgrading to the newest
kernel (1.3.57 afaik).

    >> $ ls -l /bin/sed sed-2.05/sed
    >> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        53993 Dec  1 21:10 /bin/sed

    roro> A sed produced on this day was linked before the public
    roro> libc.so.5.2.1[68].  An incompatibility is remote possible.
    roro> This should be reproducible.

The error is intermittent and such an incompatibility should show up
with other programs too - or is there anything particular with sed?

Thanks for your comments
  Siggy

--
email: bsb@uni-muenster.de           // programmer/*nix admin for hire