Watchdog package

I've written a program named watchdog to utilize the new watchdog device
driver in the most recent kernels (1.3.52+). For those using a fairly recent
kernel it might be worth a look. If there's interest the package may be
included in Debian otherwise please delete the uploaded files.

Please tell me what you think.

Here's the README:

Watchdog is a daemon that checks if your system is still working. If
programs in user space are not longer executed it will reboot the system.
However, it will not always work.

>From the kernel:

>	Watchdog Timer Interfaces For The Linux Operating System
>
>		Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
>
>	    Custom Linux Driver And Program Development
>
>[...]
>
>All four interfaces provide /dev/watchdog, which when open must be written
>to within a minute or the machine will reboot. Each write delays the reboot
>time another minute. In the case of the software watchdog the ability to
>reboot will depend on the state of the machines and interrupts. The hardware
>boards physically pull the machine down off their own onboard timers and
>will reboot from almost anything.

Right now this is just a hack. It is just taken from the example given in
the kernel. However, I do have some ideas to improve this program. As soon
as I find time I will take care of that. But before I have to take care
of thesis.

Anyway, since it's fully functional I release this now. It already proved
useful for me, since I always run the latest kernel and the latest libc
release, but rely on the machine to be up and running for email.

MD5 checksum                            Size
bec81f0fe41bdfec078bddf9d72c0872        3122 watchdog-0.2-0.deb
b438a67a18d1381c5dcb5a879cf5a1e8        6601 watchdog-0.2-0.tar.gz

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Lehrstuhl fuer angewandte Mathematik insb. Informatik