Re: antisocial X11 apps: xtet42, chimera

> Dx -- dunno.  Didn't take note when I had it open.  I grepped
> /var/log/messages for a bogomips figure, but that's apparently
> no longer part of the startup.  As I recall under earlier kernels,
> it was low -- perhaps 6.something.  Better than the 386 I used
> to run, which was about 4.3.
>
> 16 MB RAM -- machine unbusy and not swapping.
> Cirrus video card with 1Mb on it.

It might be a video-driver problem.  Awhile back when I had my 486
with an ATI 8514/A card, I sent mail to the list saying that Netscape
would not work for me after some kernel upgrades, Netscape would
freeze the system up.  Nobody could duplicate the problem, but when I
moved my hard drives over into my new system, everything worked fine.
So I would suspect a hardware problem (either physical or software
driver).  Perhaps you could try borrowing a video card from somebody
else and seeing if that changes anything?  How well do compiles go, do
you notice it being slower then it should?

Jim