Re: New a.out/ELF development packages

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: New a.out/ELF development packages"):
> On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, David Engel wrote:
> >[...]
> > 3. Start converting other packages to ELF.
>
> What's the protocol for package uploads from here on out?
>
> Upload a.out packages?  Announce where?
>
> Upload elf packages?  Announce where?
>
> If both a.out and elf packages are to be uploaded, how are
> uploaders to differentiate one from the other?

If you only want them to go into the 1.0 development tree (the usual
case) then you may upload one or the other, though ELF would be
preferred now.

If you want them to go into the 0.93 stable tree because they fix a
serious problem or for some similar reason you should say so and must
upload an a.out.  If you have both a.out and ELF versions of the same
package I suggest you call them revision 3.1 and 3.2 or whatever - Eg,
hello-1.3-4.1 for the a.out and hello-1.3-4.2 for the ELF.  This will
ensure that upgrades happen in the right direction.

Ian.