Re: ELF libraries (was Re: Poll: Python wishlist)

>    Let's put the ELF libraries in public view so that we can issue
>    packages that are only available in the ELF format.
>
> What we need are new gcc and libc packages (and anything else) that
> are ELF by default, rather than the current compatibility packages.

First we need the current a.out versions moved out of the way.  I know
Ian Jackson doesn't like it, but would anyone else object too strongly
if they were moved to /usr/i486-linuxaout until the FSSTND group
decides where they should go?

> Although I'm the current libc maintainer, I'm probably not the best
> person to coordinate this.  I've never used ELF under Linux, and I'm
> not sure what the relevant issues are.  Someone like David Engel or
> Ray Dassen, who have been working on ELF issues for the Project for
> months, would be more qualified.

As stated in another message, I don't really want to be the permanent
libc maintainer, but will start working on this now to keep things
moving towards ELF.  If anyone else wants to help out (Ray?), please
get in touch with me privately.

David