ELF libraries (was Re: Poll: Python wishlist)

   Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 12:05:12 -0800
   From: Bruce Perens <bruce@Pixar.com>

   Let's put the ELF libraries in public view so that we can issue
   packages that are only available in the ELF format.

What we need are new gcc and libc packages (and anything else) that
are ELF by default, rather than the current compatibility packages.

After all of these are available, we can make the current libc package
provide a.out compatibility (that is, it can become aout-libc), and we
can start requiring that all new packages are ELF.  Eventually, we'll
have a complete ELF system.

Although I'm the current libc maintainer, I'm probably not the best
person to coordinate this.  I've never used ELF under Linux, and I'm
not sure what the relevant issues are.  Someone like David Engel or
Ray Dassen, who have been working on ELF issues for the Project for
months, would be more qualified.