libc (again)

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do about libc.  It's too bad
the consequences weren't considered when the powers that be made the
decision to release ELF libc without first releasing a stable a.out
libc.  Because of this lack of foresight on their part, we're really
in a pickle.

On the one hand, if we release Debian 0.93 with libc 4.6.27, we are
releasing a system with an exploitable and (now) well-known security
hole.  On the other hand, if we release Debian 0.93 with libc 4.7.4,
we are releasing a system with a new and unreleased (!) library that
cannot compile Motif programs and that has seen little practical use.

What in the world should we do about this!?!  Any ideas?

I do have good news: Richard Stallman told me last week that GNU libc
has just been ported to Linux.  I suggest we start using that as soon
as we change to ELF.