Re: Debian for Linux/{non-i386} / source packaging

Richard Kettlewell writes ("Re: Debian for Linux/{non-i386} / source packaging"):
> Getting dpkg involved with the source archive means that anyone who
> wants to look at Debian packages on a non-Debian system has to install
> dpkg on it.  I understand it currently won't even compile on some
> non-Linux systems...  (is that correct?)

Not all of dpkg is supported for non-Linux systems.  The only bit that
is supported is `dpkg-deb'.  I don't plan to get involved in trying to
make dpkg itself and dselect work on other systems (though if someone
sends me good patches, autoconf'd if necessary, I'll include them).
The new dpkg-split program is supposed to be portable, but I haven't
spent any effort on checking to see whether it is.

Ian.