Re: Do we really care how many floppies are in the base?

James A. Robinson writes ("Re: Do we really care how many floppies are in the base? "):
> > Network-based installations are *definitely* part of our target market
> > (I hope!) and `use a CD-ROM then' is not an answer to the problem of
> > too many floppies.
>
> Umm, while I partly agree that we need to be able to have admins able
> to download ftp.debian.org:/debian/* and NFS install it -- I think
> that a lot of networks can/will also NFS mount the CDROM.

Think about it: admin mirrors ftp.debian.org on the site NFS server,
or mounts the CD-ROM on it.  Admin now wants to install Debian on a
dozen PC's, but has to carry 6 floppies around to all of them !

How does the CD-ROM help the admin with the `too many floppies'
problem ?  The only way it helps is if the actual machine being
installed on has a CD-ROM drive.

Telling the admin to make sure that each of the dozen workstations has
a CD-ROM drive that probably won't be used for anything else is
ridiculous.

Also, Richard Kettlewell is absolutely correct:
> Why assume that there's any CD ROM drive involved at all?  Sure, CD
> ROM has taken off in a big way, but there are still many places out
> there with network connectivity but no convenient CDROM.
>
> I can think of at least two real-world examples, one small, one
> perhaps very large.

Ian.