Re: Parsing package filenames (was: Re: New ftp method for dselect)

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I we can either rename existing packages, or use the double-dash. I don't
> care which.  ...

The most reasonable approach seems to me (of course) to be the one
which I've been arguing -- a naming standard very close to current
practice, minimizing package renaming, and minimizing mangling of
upstream naming and versioning.

  PKG-VER-REV.EXT

  PKG:  free-form
  VER:  No '-' (perhaps necessitating mangling of upstream versioning)
  REV:  No '.' and No '-'
  EXT:  No '-'

  -PKG and VER from upstream, mangled by maintainer only as necessary
  -All parts required for all packages
  -Debian maintainer to choose appropriate PKG and VER for debain-specific
   packages and for packages which are splits or joins of upstream packages

> ...         We must, however, make a decision reasonably soon. One of the
> biggest problems of Debian, and the one that still may cause it to fail,
> is it's design-by-committee nature. If we are to argue this issue for three
> weeks, we'd might as well quit now.

Past practice to terminate protracted discussion and move on to action
has been for Ian M to make a decision based on the info brought out by
discussion and proclaim that that's the way it'll be done.  I'd accept
such a proclimation from you, barring opposition from Ian M.

Whatever decision is made, it should be expressed in updated packaging
guidelines on project/standards.