Re: /etc/X11/Xresources (xbase-3.1.2-5)

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Ian Murdock wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Robert Leslie wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't have noticed these except I found the new xterm didn't log
> > anything into utmp; should this really be the default?
>
> It should log to both utmp *and* wtmp by default.  Could this be changed?

Logging into wtmp is controlled by the loginShell resource (-ls command
line option), which also controls whether the shell that is started is a
login shell.  I think that this should be false by default, and that the
xterm started in the Xsession script should have this flag explicitly set to
true. This prevents huge numbers of entries being made in wtmp for each X
session, and stops /etc/profile from being run for every xterm that is
started.

Users who want a particular environment for processes in their X session
should set it in their .xsession file. Administrators who want to set
global environments should do so in a script called from the default
Xsession file.

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk