read-only root

I think I should perhaps put on a flak jacket before suggesting this.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea to list the directories which we intend
to support on a read-only root, and have packages migrate file
permissions for files installed in these directories to read-only.
Noncompliant packages would then be easy to detect, and compliant
packages which had problems should fail during testing.  If this
raised file-location issues, they could then be dealt with my
debian-devel discussion before the packages were uploaded to be
placed in the distribution.

mitchell@mdd.comm.mot.com (Bill Mitchell)