Re: ncurses build options...

On Sat, 16 Dec 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Packages which are not essential in and of themselves, but are
> essential merely because they (for example) provide shared libraries
> for others should probably not be marked essential.
>
> The dependency scheme will prevent their premature removal, if
> properly used.

Granted, but there are probably a lot of deficiencies in
dependency declarations.  I'm doubtful that we'll ever get
near 100% correctness on this.

Should all packages which use common unix commands provided
by essential digest packages such as cat (textutls), echo
(shellutls), mkfs (miscutls) declare explicit dependencies on
the digest packages they need, or is the fact that the digest
packages are essential sufficient to omit explicit declaration
of dependencies on them?

If essential packages depend on shared libs, should those
essential packages declare dependencies on nonessential shared
libs?  Should essential packages be dependent on nonessential
shared libs?