Re: ncurses build options...

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: ncurses build options..."):
> [ much deleted ]
> It seems to me that the the sequence would go something like this:
> 4.  User says something like "dpkg --remove --force-essential list_of_libs".

No, users should not need to use --force-remove-essential.  I was
worried when I put those flags in that people might think it
reasonable too make packages and structures that depend on them.  It
is not, and we should not encourage users to use any --force options.

Packages which are not essential in and of themselves, but are
essential merely because they (for example) provide shared libraries
for others should probably not be marked essential.

The dependency scheme will prevent their premature removal, if
properly used.

Ian.