Erick Branderhorst Saves the World...

Well, actually, all he did was suggest an excellent solution for something
that had been bothering me about the ncurses packages:

When installing ncurses-base, you have to do all sorts of special things
using dpkg to get dpkg to pretend that you're not messing things up by
removing ncurses-runtime first.  Same for ncurses3.0-dev.

His suggestion was that ncurses-base should provid ncurses-runtime (and
conflict with it) while ncurses3.0-dev did the same for ncurses-developer.
This would, for instance, allow you to install ncurses-base without having
to uninstall ncurses-runtime *and* without you having to use
--force-depends.

Does anybody have any problems with this?  If not, I'll implement it ASAP.

Mike.
--
"I'm a dinosaur.  Somebody's digging my bones."