Re: dpkg-nondebbin and improper system installation

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: dpkg-nondebbin and improper system installation"):
> > Perhaps dpkg-nondebin should check if it's running on a debian
> > system and, if it is, either refuse to proceed or issue a strong
> > warning.
>
> No, that's not the problem.  The problem (as I understand it) is
> people untarring nondebbin, using it to install the base over the top
> of whatever they have already, and then ending up with a mess that
> they think is Debian.

Sounds like we have a communications problem with our prospective
debian installers, then.  We need to communicate better what nondebbin
is and is not, and that changing a distribution X installation to
a Debian installation involves more than installing packages.