Re: bogo-1.2-1 released

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> said:

> Karl Ferguson writes ("bogo-1.2-1 released"):
> > Well, it's a tough job, but someone's got to be low enough to do some
> > small Debian packages :-)  One day when I feel more confident I'll do
> > some real packages <grin>
>
> Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to combine some of
> these very small packages together into a somewhat larger one ?

>From a user/installer point of view, it seems unhelpful to combine them.
It sounds like this would hide theinfo for each small package which would
be available as Description/Extended description if each was packaged
separately.   Also, presuming that it's possible to identify one of the
included items in the digest package as desired, it sounds like this
would make it necessary to all the undesired items in the digest
package to get one which is desired.

> I know they're distributed separately as upstream source, but having
> many of these small packages is really going to clutter up the
> installation procedure.

That's certainly true, though.  More clutter in dselect for the user
to sort through, more packages to be added to the long list which
dselect churns through every time it's asked to install a package.
It's a problem, but this doesn''t sound like an effective solution.