Re: Stupid elf migration questions?

> I just performed a new debian installation on an extra partition on my
> drive using the stuff from debian-1.0 and the new elf packages so I
> might be able to help with some development, and I had a couple of
> hitches.  Is there any readme about moving to elf (i.e. should I RTFM)?

No, but there was some info in my package announcement.  I'll upload
it as elf-announce.  Does anyone want to write up something more
substantial?  Documentation is not my strong suit and I will also be
going out of town soon (convenient eh?).

> Anyway, I noticed that neither libc4 or libc5 installed any headers in
> /usr/include.  Is that intentional?  Without the headers, nothing will
> compile.  Also, what's the status of an elf libg++?

libc5-dev has the headers and static libraries.  I don't know when
anyone will get to libg++.  Until then, the elf-libg++ package can
still be used by adding -L/usr/i486-linuxelf/lib when you link.

> Another problem I had (probably not debian's fault) was with my X
> server (accelerated X - I have a Matrox card).  It has an elf version
> that is automatically used, but only if it detects libc5.  This worked
> fine, but the problem is that it requires libtermcap.so.2.  I assume
> that this is just their problem?

Sort of.  I believe libtermcap.so.2 was an initial ELF version of the
old BSD-based termcap.  It has currently been abandoned, but if you
look hard enough on tsx-11.mit.edu under /pub/linux/packages/GCC, you
might be able to find it.

David