Re: dselect CD-ROM / hard disk / NFS method

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: dselect CD-ROM / hard disk / NFS method"):
> On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > If it sees what looks like a Debian mirror of some kind (possibly in a
> > `debian' subdirectory) and has `stable' and `development'
> > subdirectories it will offer the user the choice between the stable
> > tree and the development one, rather than requiring them to specify
> > the pathname themselves.  (The user will still be able to specify a
> > different pathname if they want to.)
> > [...]
> > So, in summary, the script will look for trees named
> >   stable
> >   development
> >   contrib
> >   non-free
> > and in each tree will it look for
> >   binary
> >  and
> >   binary/Packages
> >  or
> >   binary/Packages.gz
> >
> > It will look for these trees in the root of the installation
> > filesystem, or in a subdirectory `debian' of that filesystem.
>
> "it" is dselect, right?  Unless I misunderstand, that's what it
> looks like to the user.

Yes.  It's the dselect disk access method script, which is invoked by
dpkg when the user selects hard disk partition, mounted filesystem or
CD-ROM from the dselect access method list.

> Could we have a dselect(1) or dsleect(8) man page which explains
> such things as this, or points the user to another man page which
> explains them?

Well volunteered.

This ought really to go in the installation manual, in the form `to
get dselect to work well, download the following files into a
directory tree like this'.  Perhaps you'd like to write an appropriate
chapter or section and send it to Ian M. ?

Ian.