Re: packaging X things

In article <[🔎] 199511030146.UAA30719@mines.cnd.mcgill.ca> "Andrew D. Fernandes" <adfernan@cnd.mcgill.ca> writes:

> I am in the process of packaging up x3270 for debian, and while I have built
> X-stuff via imake before, I have never had to modify things.
>
> Until now.
>
> Is there an easy way of modifying the (i)makefiles to install the software in
> a non-root subdirectory, but make sure that these paths don't get compiled
> into the program, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and comb the
> source by hand and by grep?

The Makefiles made by imake use the symbol DESTDIR, which is a prefix
to all file names and not defined by default. You can use this
similiar to the prefix symbol in autoconf-generated Makefiles:

$ make
$ make DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian-tmp/ install

If some paths get compiled into the program, this should happen in the
make stage. If the program does this in the make install stage, you
still have to change the Makefile (or the Imakefile).

(The xonix-1.4 package could be helpful as an example.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph (sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de); WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/