Re: Distribution

Bill Mitchell writes ("Re: Distribution"):
> I'd suggest DEVELOPMENT, or WORKING, or IN_PROGRESS, or somesuch
> rather than CURRENT if these are to be visible to user-downloaders.
>
> CURRENT is likely not to be taken as bleeding-edge-and-unfinished
> by user-downloaders.

Right.  I think `development' vs. `released' is about the right
distinction.

I think capital letters are a bad thing, but others may disagree.

Ian Murdock writes ("Re: Distribution"):
>    Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 01:21:48 -0700
>    From: Bruce Perens <bruce@Pixar.com>
>
>    Rather than re-arrange the current released system, let's put the
>    new organization in place for the "current" and "1.0" system, and
>    leave debian-0.93 where it is now so we don't mess up the mirrors
>    again.  That'll give us freedom to move things around for a while.
>
> Agreed.

Bruce is right.

So, what we're left with, if you agree with my release strategy, is:

 released -> debian-0.93
 development -> debian-1.0
 debian-0.93/binary         [ bugfixes and urgent releases only ]
             source
             ms-dos
             Packages -> binary/Packages
             disks
 debian-1.0/binary          [ most new uploads get put here ]
            source
            ms-dos
            Packages -> binary/Packages
            disks
 contrib/binary
         source
         ms-dos
         Packages -> binary/Packages
 non-free/binary
          source
          ms-dos
          Packages -> binary/Packages
 Packages-Master            [ Union of released, contrib, non-free ]
 tools/
 doc/                       [ Shouldn't we merge doc/, info/ and some
 info/                        of project/ ? ]
 kernel/
 private/
 experimental/              [ Other stuff only for special purposes ]
 README.*

If we decide we need updates directories for people to go scouring if
they had a version from date X then each of released, development,
contrib and non-free needs an `updates' directory with names after the
last 6 quarters (say).  New packages get moved into the most recent
one of those (and any duplicates from the older updates directories
removed) as well as into the `binary' directory.

Does this seem good to people ?

Ian.