Start-stop-daemon feature request to support cross-installation.

> How about localizing the effect of this to /usr/sbin/start-stop-deamon,
> by putting the conditional daemon start-stop code there?

An excellent idea! That would do 90% of the work for me right away.
Ian Jackson still maintains start-stop-daemon, right? Ian, can you make
start-stop-daemon a no-op when $CROSS_INSTALL is set? For context, this
is for use when cross-installing with "dpkg --root", and daemon manipulation
is not appropriate. I will have my script set the variable, it's not necessary
for "dpkg" to set it.

> The usage of
> this environment variable should be clearly documented in (at least)
> the start-stop-daemon(8) man page.

Right.

	Thanks

	Bruce