Re: changes file format

   Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 14:05 GMT
   From: Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>

   > File permissions, link count, ownership an modification times on
   > the maintainer's system are not of general interest, why include
   > them in an announcement? The rest easily fits onto a single line
   > and put the fixed length parts in front.

   I agree that this is a kludge [...]

It may be a kludge, but familiarity makes for readability.  I can look
at ls -l output and immediately obtain the information I need from it.

   We need to be able to feed the announcement to `md5sum -c', which

I agree completely.  At the moment, I have to run a special script to
convert the dchanges md5sum format into a format that md5sum -c can
understand.  This is a pain.  If I didn't know how to write a shell
script to parse a string and rearrange it, I'd be out of luck.